what! no 1394 firewire

23 replies [Last post]
Doogs
I am looking at purchasing a new laptop... but for the life of me I can't locate one with a firewire port on it.... my 2 Canon cameras work just fine and I really don't want to go to the added expense of buying new cams....

can anyone suggest a good spec laptop that has  ieee1394 or at least the facility to add a pcmcia card

cheers in advance.... :-)
steve
Re: what! no 1394 firewire
Probably your best bet is to look at the current offerings by DVC. Their website shows two of the own build devices with IEEE1394A ports. For those who don't have to worry about cost thir is the HP8770 workstation that comes with an Express Card slot. This will take a simple £20 IEEE1394A adaptor.

HTH
Doogs
cheers Steve.....I very nearly spat my coffee all over the monitor when I saw the prices...LOL... my Mrs. would have a canary if I purchased a DVC system.... :-O
Mark M
You're less likely to find a PCMCIA slot than you are a firewire port,  and even Express Card slots are hard to find except on high-end machines.

Anyhow, what's wrong with your wife having a canary? They're delightful pets.

Adobe Certified Professional Premiere Pro CS6, Premiere Pro CC

Adobe Community Professional

steve
Doogs wrote:
cheers Steve.....I very nearly spat my coffee all over the monitor when I saw the prices...LOL... my Mrs. would have a canary if I purchased a DVC system.... :-O
The trouble is that firewire 400 is now regarded as obsolete by the laptop industry as there are few, if any new cameras available on the market that require it. So dedicated PCs built for video as the DVC ones are look like the only source.

johnpr98
If you find a laptop with an express card this is one possible solution
or

There's also a USB to Express card adapter. which is one to avoid

It's a shame their isn't an affordable solution for firewire connections to modern laptops crying

johnpr98

If you have any Forum Suggestions please post them here

Doogs
cheers guys for all the info... defo won't be allowing the wife a Canary...LOL

have weighed things up and it would work out cheaper to buy a decent laptop and a new bloody Camera.....

nowt wrong at all with the 2 Canon cams that I have though..... we are all victims of manufacturer's decisions and trends... crying
steve
Doogs wrote:
cheers guys for all the info... defo won't be allowing the wife a Canary...LOL

have weighed things up and it would work out cheaper to buy a decent laptop and a new bloody Camera.....

nowt wrong at all with the 2 Canon cams that I have though..... we are all victims of manufacturer's decisions and trends... crying

I think the push to flash media may be more to do with the great unwashed thinking that tape is 'old fashioned'. I know that solid state cameras can be cheaper to manufacture, but the crunch will come when HDDs fail and poor archiving strategies come home to roost.
DAVE M
but it does make a second hand camera "safer" wear wise.

Is it only Macs with Thunderbolt?

Black magic do a firewire/thunderbolt connector
Gavin Gration
All Mac's have Thunderbolt - Apple do a £30 Firewire adapter. I don't know if these work under BootCamp.

One or two Windows laptops had Thunderbolt (not cheap) but it seems the main players have decided USB3.0 is good enough.

There may be some Premium models with Thunderbolt BUT they will be similar price to Macs - i.e. around a grand or more.

There ARE loads of old Windows laptops around with Firewire and USB2.0 for less than £200 - any CoreDuo or faster will do - you can capture using an old version of Premiere (CS2 was available FOC for a while because the reg servers changed - pretty sure there are other free legit DV catpure apps). Ex-corporate IBMs/HPs etc - usually bulletproof. Use it for capturing - do the edit on your shiny new Windows 8 laptop.

Mark M
Gavin Gration wrote:
pretty sure there are other free legit DV catpure apps).

Yes, the excellent and robust Scenalyzer Live is now free. Easily the best DV Capture application I ever used. Still use.
I like Gavin's suggested strategy.  Shame about the canary, though.

Adobe Certified Professional Premiere Pro CS6, Premiere Pro CC

Adobe Community Professional

steve
Doesn't Windows Moviemaker in its Live version do HDV capture?
Rob2882
Sony Vaio laptops were always good for for having firewire ports.
Have a search for a VGN-FW21E. It comes in various configurarations, all with dual core processors of differing speeds, a great 16.4" screen, and an express34 slot.
Some good bargains to be had on ebay.
johnpr98

johnpr98

Doogs

would it all work under Windows 8 though???  be a cheaper alternative for me.....as I was looking at purchasing a Gopro Hero 3 black edition along with the new laptop....

johnpr98
Hi Doogs

I'm researching just like you, I don't know about Windows 8 compatibility

Pinnacle don't seem to have it on their UK site now, although I thought I'd found it a while back, they only seem to sell analogue capture devices now
I have reservations about it myself as Pinnacle don't seem to have given the best customer support over the years and as they seem to have stopped manufacture now I a doubly doubtful

Then Amazon seem to give these devices good reviews?

If the 1394 capture hardware worked well I may have been interested myself surprise

johnpr98

Doogs
aye, seems to do the job... there are a few vids over on youtube showing that there is no loss in HD quality of the captured video side by side with video captured on a normal firewire port... will have to do some more research myself... and yes I hear you about the Pinnacle support I still have a PCI capture card and BOB that I purchased years ago... now lying redundant .... LOL
DAVE M
The goPro would record to card and you'd just import that.

or am I missing the point?
Doogs
DAVE M wrote:

Nope, your not...LOL... I am a Dinosaur...I am loathe to get rid of my HV20 (and if I can wangle a new cam outa this.. then that's a result... ;-)  )

johnpr98
DAVE M wrote:

Hi Mark

You are way ahead of me re: gopro as I can't seem to find what I need with a google search

Are you saying that you can connect a HDV camera to this device via a firewire connection and record to card?
If so.do you have a link and approximate cost?

Thanks

johnpr98

Doogs
think he meant that I could just use the Gopro instead of buying the moviebox.
johnpr98
Yep, that's what I found

If I could record to the goPro from my camcorder it could be a possible solution, I haven't found that function so far

Otherwise it's just buy a new card based camcorder and forget your tapes

I was walking amongst  Dinosaur footprints on Monday, they weren't there, onest! yes

johnpr98

johnpr98
Doogs wrote:
think he meant that I could just use the Gopro instead of buying the moviebox.

OK, just seen your post

johnpr98

johnpr98
This should work fine recording to a CF card

Datavideo DN-60A CF Card Video RecorderDatavideo DN-60A CF Card Video RecorderDatavideo DN-60A CF Card Video RecorderDatavideo DN-60A CF Card Video Recorder

Datavideo DATAVIDEO DN-60A CF Card Video Recorder
code:DATA-DN60A

£328.00 (ex. VAT) (Delivery from £6.25 (ex. VAT) )
RRP: £375.00 (ex. VAT) You Save: £47.00 (ex. VAT) (13%)
£393.60 (inc. VAT)

or
£372

CF Card not included sad

johnpr98