Optical In Unit

10 replies [Last post]
Barry Hunter
Offline
Joined: Nov 30 2001

I`m in the process of setting up my shiny new edit suite, Edius 6, the PC has an HD Spark which allows an HDMI output which in turn feeds an LG Monitor/TV. This only has "Optical" as an Audio out & I would like to have better sound from this monitor! Can anyone suggest the best, inexpensive way to acheive this, is there a "BlackBox" that would take in an "Optical In" to be able to feed out to speakers? I already have PC speakers attatched to the machine so that if I`m not using Edius I can hear what`s going on.

Thanks

Barry Hunter videos4all.org

mooblie
mooblie's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 27 2001
Barry Hunter wrote:
..... This only has "Optical" as an Audio out & I would like to have better sound from this monitor! Can anyone suggest the best, inexpensive way to acheive this, is there a "BlackBox" that would take in an "Optical In" to be able to feed out to speakers?....

Any HiFi AudioVisual Receiver will have optical-in and drive your speakers, and provide lots of other potentially useful switching capabilities for the audio side of your edit suite?

Lots of used ones on eBay, or new bargains at RicherSounds etc. Recent ones will provide HDMI switching too.

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

PaulD
Offline
Joined: Aug 31 2002

Hi
What you are probably expected to attach to the optical output is a Dolby 5.1 (or DTS) A/V amplifier to decode the six-channel audio on DVDs.
Presumably this encoded signal comes via the HDMI input cable to the TV. How HDMI differentiates between 2 channel audio and Dolby decoded audio is another matter... ;)

Barry Hunter
Offline
Joined: Nov 30 2001

The "Feed" via the HDMI will be from the edit suite which is using footage shot mostly on Sony HDV Cams + a AVCHD, therefore I would think it will only be stereo so I wouldn`t think I particulary need 5.1, or can someone advise?

Barry Hunter videos4all.org

Dave Jervis
Offline
Joined: Feb 21 2006

...something like this maybe...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/digital-to-analogue-audio-convertor-504890

(.....not a recommendation, just might be worth a look....)

dave

Barry Hunter
Offline
Joined: Nov 30 2001

Thanks, looks like it might fit the bill except for being out of stock at the moment :-(

Barry Hunter videos4all.org

PaulD
Offline
Joined: Aug 31 2002

Hi
Since you are using HDMI your setup will be different, but for my analogue system like Mooblie suggested, I use a large 5.1 A/V Receiver bought hugely discounted from Richer Sounds. Its a Sony multi-input monster, most of its facilities I totally ignore, but its advantage for me is that its audio output level can be set in dB from a readout on the front panel, so I can maintain a constant 'volume' level in the edit suite.

So if my audio doesn't sound at the right level I know I've got a problem elsewhere in the signal chain., and I can reset the amplifier precisely if I use it (either via its connected input mixer, or directly connected) to monitor another source that needs a different gain setting.

Its like having a calibrated video monitor - if it looks wrong on the monitor (and the video scopes) it need colour correction, if it sounds wrong on my Tannoy audio monitors then my audio needs adjustment elsewhere as the external mixer/amplifier are correctly 'calibrated'....

I didn't realise how much simpler this installation made things until I set it up :)

RayL
Offline
Joined: Mar 31 1999

The HD Spark has analogue audio L & R out (phono sockets) in addition to its HDMI out. As you are only working with stereo (and Edius won't produce 5.1 soundtracks anyway), why not feed your monitor speakers direct from the Spark?

Ray L

mooblie
mooblie's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 27 2001
PaulD wrote:
.....I use a large 5.1 A/V Receiver bought hugely discounted from Richer Sounds. Its a Sony multi-input monster, most of its facilities I totally ignore, but its advantage for me is that its audio output level can be set in dB from a readout on the front panel, so I can maintain a constant 'volume' level in the edit suite.

So if my audio doesn't sound at the right level I know I've got a problem elsewhere in the signal chain., and I can reset the amplifier precisely if I use it (either via its connected input mixer, or directly connected) to monitor another source that needs a different gain setting.

Its like having a calibrated video monitor - if it looks wrong on the monitor (and the video scopes) it need colour correction, if it sounds wrong on my Tannoy audio monitors then my audio needs adjustment elsewhere as the external mixer/amplifier are correctly 'calibrated'....

I didn't realise how much simpler this installation made things until I set it up :)

Absolutely, that's what I do - but with one of these RTW 1206 sound level meters connected to a tape-out analogue output, calibrated with an audio CD I burnt with levels at 0,-6,-12,-18,-24,-30. Gives me confidence about audio line levels in the system - as it then reads independently of the AV receiver's volume control. I can measure commercial DVD and CD audio levels, also broadcast radio, TV, my audio recorders, etc. etc., and know how all my levels compare. It's quite an eye-opener sometimes (or ear-opener!)

(The front panel dB readout on the AV receiver is less useful, as it's after the volume control - so I end up monitoring with that always fixed - in my case at -24dB.)

Actually that item on eBay is an absolute bargain - they don't come up very often - I'm thinking of getting it as a spare. Don't all rush at once. Makes audio mixing a pleasure!

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Barry Hunter
Offline
Joined: Nov 30 2001
RayL wrote:
The HD Spark has analogue audio L & R out (phono sockets) in addition to its HDMI out. As you are only working with stereo (and Edius won't produce 5.1 soundtracks anyway), why not feed your monitor speakers direct from the Spark?

Ray L

Thanks Ray, would I need to feed into an amp? I connected a speaker directly to one of the phono outputs but no sound! Maybe I need to configure the sound card somehow?

Barry Hunter videos4all.org

RayL
Offline
Joined: Mar 31 1999

Hi Barry,

If your loudspeakers are not the powered type then you will need an amplifier, as the others have been suggesting. The phono outputs from the Spark are at line level , not suitable for driving loudspeakers.

Regarding Peak Program Meters, they were originally designed for broadcast use where it is essential to avoid peaks which might take a transmitter off the air. The problem when it comes to music (especially to balancing music) is that the bass and the percussive sounds are peaky, so the instinct is to reduce them. This leads to weak and anaemic mixes. The VU meter and similar meters measure to a greater degree the energy in the audio signal and are better for music and general use.

Ray