New Video/ Song shot with a Canon 650D. Feedback welcome!

11 replies [Last post]
Muso1070
Muso1070's picture
Hello all, i'm a singer/songwriter from Northern Ireland and just wanted to share with you a new tune i put together a few weeks ago called Tonight.
I was lucky enough to be invited over to perform in Nashville USA at the famous Bluebird Cafe back in June and it was that trip that inspired me to write this song.
Its a pretty chilled out tune with a summery feel to it.
Check it out below if you have a spare moment for new music.
All feedback welcome :)

Chris Keys - Tonight (Live)

See video

Cheers
Chris

branny
Re: New Video/ Song shot with a Canon 650D. Feedback welcome!
Very hummable tune, but to my old lugholes the accoustic guitar sort of overpowered not only your voice but what looked a tasty few licks from the Strat. That can all be tweaked in the edit suite so overall a very nice song. Well done!

Do not follow, I may not lead. Do not lead . . . I may not follow.

Maxwell
Camera work fine. The song and guitar input are not at correct balance as last post stated.
You have the making of a fine singer with some refined melody which would sound fun to listen too.
I would question the change over to black and white, but the main thing is are you happy with the outcome?
infocus2
Again, yes, the performance is good which is probably the main thing!

As far as shot goes, then it looks to be the wrong aspect ratio? Shot 16:9, then squeezed vertically into a letterbox? Or is that a youtube funny? Main problem to me is that the cut-ins are a similar shot size to the main camera and they really need to differ. Is that why they are treated to be monochrome, to try to make them look different? I also found I was aware that the finger movements on some of those shots don't match the soundtrack. Lighting wise, I'd prefer to see the background much darker. That really needs a much bigger room to get foreground/background separation, and lights which can be flagged more precisely (such as Dedolights). With much less key/fill on the background the whole mood would be more lowkey and I think that would match better overall.
flyingscotsman
The song is great, yeah there is a bit of disparity in the mix but all engineers have their own ideas on that point. I wouldn't say it's wrong and maybe it suits the song.  Personally I don't like the lighting at all and I think as the above post says aspect ratio and background issues would improve the look along with a larger room. I'm not sure if the main reason for posting it on here is to get it about a bit but it's worked on me, I have listened to it a couple of times and sent the link to other people. Who says advertising doesn't work?

Muso1070
Muso1070's picture
Hey thank you, yea i know now looking back i would of liked the voice up a bit more.
Glad you enjoyed : )
Muso1070
Muso1070's picture
Hi Maxwell, thanks for that.
I am very happy with it yes.
I will be making a proper music video for the single version and hopefully have some one on board to help.
I know its pretty simple but i like that about it as its a unplugged live version.
Thanks again for your comment : )

Chris
Muso1070
Muso1070's picture
Hello there, i totally agree about the bigger space to get it that darker only problem was we couldn't think of where to do it!
So ended up going for the studio.
I hear what your saying, i thought it looked a little squeezed!!
Must get to the bottom of that one, i don't mind it in this video but for future ones it needs sorted!

Chris
Muso1070
Muso1070's picture
Awesome thanks for sharing and i must be doing something right in the songwriting department if you wanted to come back and hear again :-)
I worked pretty dam hard writing this one so its great to hear you all liked the song anyway, i know ive a lot of work to do  in other areas!!

Thanks again
Chris
Runaround Who
Song is easy on the ears but the aspect I find detracts from the music as at times your head looks fairly distorted in shape :)

www.electrafilms.co.uk Watching life and filming the best bits ...

Muso1070
Muso1070's picture
: )) yea was thinking the same!! Don't know where i went wrong with the aspect??
Muso1070
Muso1070's picture
For anyone who enjoyed the song here are the lyrics :)
Tonight by Chris Keys

V.1 When will you see
what you mean to me
listen to your heart
and walk on out, from the dark.
HHHHHHHMMMMM -----------
what must i do
to make it clear to you
love is all we need
so please oh please, wait for me.

C.1 And the day will turn into the night
with you by my side to hold