Mini Disc Recorder NZ-MH700 Sonic Stage No longer works

5 replies [Last post]
johnpr98

I've used a mini disc recorder for recording stage performance audio near the stage for many years and I've uploaded, converted using on Windows 7 for 2 years without any issues

After a lapse of six months I tried to upload and convert a file from my NZ-MH700 yesterday and had the following message when starting Sonic Stage:

Installing "openmg secure module*, then the programme can't a specified file in application data and goes into a loop until I stop the process in Task Manager.

Sony no longer host the Sonic Stage download, my original CD is pre Windows 7 and wasn't as good as the Sonic Stage I downloaded (Which unfortunately seems to have disappeared off my laptop and my backups, it doesn't come up in a Sony or Sonic search sad)

I suspect removal of Sonic Stage is a 'Powers that be' DRM issue, I've noted that new users couldn't download the Sonic Stage file anymore, however existing users were supposed to be unaffected, I'll keep researching for a fix, if anyone has had similar problems any help would be very much appreciated.

A re install usually fixes these kinds of issues, that is if I had the Sonic Stage file and I've followed a few false trails on that online search as well.

Cheers

johnpr98

If you have any Forum Suggestions please post them here

johnpr98
Re: Mini Disc Recorder NZ-MH700 Sonic Stage No longer works

Success smiley after some searching here
http://forums.sonyinsider.com/

johnpr98

paulears
paulears's picture

The trouble is that you're going to be stuck at some point, if your installation dies. Clearly, you're on it's last legs. Like all those people still using XP - it's coming to the end of it's life.

Like you - I still have MD equipment - 2 HHB portables, a couple of dinky ones, and probably half a dozen rack mount machines. Now, as they die, I scrap them. I still have lots of clients give me MDs to play, but they're getting less and less, and most are oddly going back to CDs, with only a few having their shows on sticks or cards. These cause me much grief because they're so computer dependent. So I get .wav .mp3 but now all the mac versions too, and the iTunes variants. Add the different sample rates, bit rates and bit depth variations and playing the damn things back is a nightmare. Give me an MD any time - even one over recorded so badly it never shifts off full scale - they still sound ok to play, and the title facility a few users have mastered is handy.  Users mixing sample types on one stick, and the annoying feature of listing and playing in alphabetical order drive me mad.

MD, sadly, is going to be very dead, very soon. Last rites are read, and burial due - without a sensible replacement. 

johnpr98

Hi Paul

As long as the recorder works physically I will continue to use my mini disc option, I don't use it for anything else

I have restored the Sonic Stage software without any help from Sony and all is well again......for now laugh

I have also made sure the installation software is safe this time in case of future problems, I don't think my original CD would be much help + it was superseded by a much better version

johnpr98

paulears
paulears's picture

I wish I had been as good keeping my old software discs! I now have two old favourites that I can't use any more!

Long live MD, but quite how long, I'm not sure - I will certainly miss it!

tom hardwick

Gotta say, I love my Sony MZ R35. I'm still using the original 10 year old Li-ion battery and it holds its charge well.  A really lovely machine with line in and out and built tough.