I can not get Computer to recognize my camcorder via firwire ieee1394 / Windows 7

20 replies [Last post]
dn1000
I have tried every thing to get my video on my camcorder onto my computer --- PLEASE HELP...    I'm using Windows 7, I found out that the onboard firewire  ieee 1394 port does not work with Windows 7, I bought a VIA PCI card and installed it.  The computer recognize the card and loaded it up OK.  I used a 6pin to 4pin firewire cable to connect the camera to the computer, via the new card.  In fact I have tried 2 different cables.   My camera is a Canon Elura 60.   I plug the 4pin into the camera turn it on, put it in VCR/Playback mode and press play, then plug the 6pin into the card.  I have tried all different combos of turning on and pluging in to see if that made an difference, but no.  No matter what I do there is no sign of the computer knowing that there is a camera attached.  All of my  video editing software say "no device".  When I go and look on "my computer" there is no drive or folder listed that could be the camera.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the card and drivers.  Tried different drivers.  Moved the card to a different slot.  None of these makes any difference.  WHATS WRONG??? 
DAVE M
Re: I can not get Computer to recognize my camcorder via ...
I don't know the camera and I'm a Mac person but....

normally the camera should be on before opening any device that will then seek the camera.

Turning it on afterwards probably doesn't work.

The camera would need to be in playback mode but doesn't need to be playing to send the "handshake" so the PC knows it's there.

Hope this is correct!
woodcombe2003
try going to control panel/device manager/ieee1394 ..select your 1394 card, update driver and choose browse computer for software. select pick from a list, then select  1394 ohci compliant host (legacy)

This solved my problem. Could be worth a try.

(

dn1000
Dave,   Yes I have almost always have the camera on and in playback mode before plugging in the cable to the computer, but I have tried the other way "just in case".  Thanks for the reply, any other suggestions?
dn1000
Wood...,  Yes I have in the past and currently have the driver set to "legacy" but it still does not recognize the camera....  What's next???  Please help I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out, (and I'm already half bald...)
johnpr98
Hi

I don't have a windows 7 firewire set up, I only have firewire with my old XP computer

Quote:
I plug the 4pin into the camera turn it on, put it in VCR/Playback mode and press play, then plug the 6pin into the card.

Why are you plugging in the cable after the camcorder has started?

Plug in both ends of the cable and switch the camera on in VCR/playback mode, is there a menu setting in the camera?
see page 87 of your manual. hopefully you can in the Menu select VCR Setup and then select AV>DV Out
The manual I am reading is from online and may not be the same as yours or the setting may be disabled for Europe?

A shot in the dark smiley

Good luck

johnpr98

If you have any Forum Suggestions please post them here

mooblie
mooblie's picture
Do the camera+cable work with ANY other computer?

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Gavin Gration
Your camera will not appear as a drive in My Computer. The IEEE1394 legacy driver is for your FireWire card not the camera. The camera has a separate entry in Device Manager.

Does the computer go BONG when you plug or unplug the camera? If so it's being seen by the computer.

What editing software are you trying to use to copy the footage from the camera tapes to your computer?

dn1000
Mo... I do not have any other computer with a firewire port to try it on...
dn1000
John, I welcome any shots in the dark or other wise...  I have tried AV>DV out in the on and off setting no difference...  BTW I'm in Missouri USA.   Keep firing in the dark maybe you hit something...  Thanks
dn1000
John,  I have tried AV>DV in the on and off position no difference.  I start the playback before hooking up the cable because I thought maybe the computer must receive a signal when it first detect the camera, I have tried not starting the camera first also.  with camera off I plug 4pin into camera then 6pin into card then turn camera to VCR/Playback then press Play... NOTHING???  btw I'm in Missouri, USA.     please keep shooting....
dn1000
Gavin,  programs I'm trying to use are AVS video Recorder and Real Player and some program that came with the Ieee 1394 card from ulead.  No BONG, No Bing or NO Dings  heard, No message or anything.  Only BONG heard is my head banging against the wall...  Thanks
dn1000
I would like once again to thank everyone for trying to help, PLEASE KEEP TRYING.  When ever we solve this problem I will post the solution so others might benefit from it...
John Disdle
Would a 1394 card with the Texas Instrument chipset be better? From the early days of DV, they seemed to be a better choice than VIA.
rogs
There is a possibility that the Firewire port on the camera has been 'fried'.

Even though Firewire connections are supposed to be hot swappable, there have been numerous accounts over the years of camcorder ports being destroyed by plugging or unplugging the camcorder with the computer and/or camcorder already switched on.  Shouldn't be true. Sometimes is.

As Mooblie suggests in post #6, the only way to be sure is to eliminate both the cable and the camcorder from the equation by trying them in another machine.  The alternative of trying another camcorder in your machine is probably best avoided if the problem is 'hot swapping'. You could do it again!

Hopefully, this isn't the reason.... but unfortunately, it might be?......
johnpr98
Hi

Hot swapping is not a good idea with firewire, although plugging in on the computer end sounds safer

I've always promoted Texas instrument chipsets as less troublesome, that was a long time ago though

Think hard where you can try another camcorder and cable out on another computer btw which ulead programme? MSPro support never made it past Vista and another old Ulead programme may not support Windows 7

It may be worth downloading a up to date trial version of a Sony video editing programme such as Movie Studio or Corel (Ulead)  Video Studio to see if that works + there's a good chance it will install any drivers you need

I see no mention of 1394 in the AVS video Recorder specs unless I missed it? I doubt if realplayer has firewire support anyway but I may be wrong?

johnpr98

If you have any Forum Suggestions please post them here

Maxwell
Firstly before starting check if your camcorder is compatible with your software. I also are a Mac user. Also go unto the camcorder manufactures web side and see if you camcorder is listed for computers and software. Also go on YouTube and see if there are any tutorials on your problems.
They say always plug your camcorder in before opening you computer. Wait and see if it shows up. Also out of interest what editing software are you using to import your material?

Gavin Gration
When you connect the camera to the computer do you see "DV IN" (or similar) appear on the camcorder display screen?

In general the camera usually gives some sort of visual clue that it can see something on the firewire port.

If you see nothing then that could indicate the camera end is fried.

I note that you mentioned the built-in firewire is defective on your computer. Is this a socket directly on the motherboard or one of the front panel?

Some PC cases had a socket but that doesn't mean the motherboard has the connector or that it's hooked up internally.

Also - if you have two firewire controllers you should see more than one entry in Device manager (unless you've disabled the onboard controller in the BIOS).

If you do have two controllers active it's usually not a problem provided the one intended for use with DV cameras is set to legacy mode.

Finally some Canon DV cameras have a mechanical switch for "tape" or SD "card" mode - make sure yours is in tape mode or the tape deck side will appear dead.

The firewire port is ONLY for capturing from tape. If you have images/clips on an SD card then use a card reader or put the camera in CARD mode and hook it up via USB.
Tony Carter
You have'nt mentioned a user manual, why not do a search for ,say, http://www.nodevice.com/user_manual/canon/camcorders/elura_60.html and read the pages about connecting to a computer.  It will probably be in PDF format so you can open it with pdf vista.  From my search of the web, I came to the conclusion that the Elura 60 may not be a recent model, and perhaps it is'nt compatible with WINDOWS 7.  hth.

TonyC

dn1000
OK, tonight I call Canon Tech Support and after 30 minutes of trying to get it set up the lady said she gives up that there has to be something wrong with my Camera (like a faulty port).  She offered to do a buy back where they would credit me a set amount towards a refurbish camera.  I told her Thanks, but NO Thanks, I would rather have the pressure of totally beating the SH*t out of it with my hammer.  I will send my 10 mini DV tapes to  an Online transfer service and wait a couple weeks and see if I ever see them again.   Thank you to everyone that reply to my request for help...   DN100
paulears
paulears's picture
You are not going to make any progress until you can either borrow another camera or computer - either will prove where the fault lays.

It's not as uncommon as it sounds - JVC cameras (like my two) simply refuse to work on some computers, while working fine on others, or even worse, only working on some software on another. Loads of help suggests as here that reinstalling the old firewire legacy driver works - which it does for some of the problems. Firewire boards are quite cheap, and worth trying once you confirm the camera is ok. I've got a selection of these now, and again it's very hit and miss (more miss, to be honest).

It's VERY annoying to have to capture on one computer and then waste hours swapping drives around!