Beware of unseen eyes

15 replies [Last post]
Dave R Smith
Offline
Joined: May 10 2005

I recently caught part of The Secret Millionaire on TV.

While updating his video diary in a terraced house, the production car, parked right outside had its back window smashed in an attempt to nick crews gear. Quick re-action meant smashed window was the only loss.

I endeavor not to leave car unattended after people have potentialy seen video guy putting his gear in. This was a good reminder that being lucky to date does not mean the risk has gone away.

Maxwell
Offline
Joined: Jan 13 2007

That is a good tip, specially when filming on location.
I'm just amazed in this day and age that the criminals have more rights.
How can a 50 year old man get beat to death by 2 yobs and the only get 10 years and 20 years in jail.

Calisha Brown
Offline
Joined: Jun 28 2011
Re: Beware of unseen eyes

Thanks for the wonderful advice. Keep Sharing…

MAGLINK
Offline
Joined: Mar 8 2007

All my kit is in rucksacks and non pro bags to make it look more like I am just loading my own personal stuff, the only pro bag is the portabrace one for the camera but as that is always last to go in and is never left in the car overnight so it is not a problem.

Oh and it's all insured!;)

Ben Longden
Offline
Joined: Jun 10 2009

Insurance does not cover the grief.... and the downtime between a gig and getting a camera.

MAGLINK
Offline
Joined: Mar 8 2007
Ben Longden wrote:
Insurance does not cover the grief.... and the downtime between a gig and getting a camera.

It should do to a certain extent as mine covers for loss of business too!

Nintembo
Offline
Joined: Jun 22 2004

Too true Dave. I remember shooting on location once and a group of youths saw me take some gear inside a building. When I came out, they were walking away from my locked car. It was actualy quite scary, but I always lick my car no matter how short the walk away is.

Dave R Smith
Offline
Joined: May 10 2005
Nintembo wrote:
... I always lick my car no matter how short the walk away is.

Do you have a Polo or a Galaxy?
Locking it as well may help.;)

Dave R Smith
Offline
Joined: May 10 2005

This link is worth a read:

England riots: When is it right to turn vigilante?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14473781

steve
Offline
Joined: Apr 8 1999

The article says that it's never right to turn vigilante. It acknowledges that defence of body and property is acceptable, as does the law. To chase an intruder/attacker, other than for a lawful citizen's arrest is not. Tony Martin found out that however aggrieved he felt, shooting somebody who is no longer a direct threat is common assault, or murder as in his case if they die. The courts put him out of the way to make it clear that the 'self-defence' defence is valid only when and where you are under direct threat. It is not a general excuse to deal with the ills of society with self-righteous violence.

Steve

Maxwell
Offline
Joined: Jan 13 2007

Would Louie Armstrong song "It"s A Wonderful World", get into the charts now?.
My opinion, there is no solution. This is a stop start format. We have new technology and we have human new technology. "You Touch Me..........I will sue you.
My teacher use to cane me and my parents agreed. That was sensible technology.

art345hur
Offline
Joined: Aug 4 2009

Put a picture of colonel Ghadaffi in your rear window!!!!

Dave R Smith
Offline
Joined: May 10 2005

Well, I found out this morning I was wanted by the Police.:eek:

I rec'd a Notice of intended prosecution by recorded delivery, saying back on 18 Aug I failed to stop at an accident at a Bedfordshire village location.
After a few phone calls I find out a Lorry had hit a house roof in a narrow lane and a witness saw a lorry with 'Aztec' and another word - possibly 'video' written on the side.
I have now got them off my case, by telling them I don't have any lorries, my car doesn't have business name on it and I wasn't in the village on date in question.

They hadn't even to bother to ascertain or verify what colour the lorry was, so it's prosecute first and ask questions later.

In fact the woman I spoke to wasn't prefixed WPC, so I assume a civilian that was adding 1 and 1 to make 5.

I've given them a blasting for there unverified accusations.
I can joke about it now, but it ain't very pleasant when you get such letters with no explanation of even why they think it's you.
..anyway, I'm now off the most wanted list now, but I'll be wearing shades and a headscarf tomorrow.

Ron Spicer
Offline
Joined: Jul 22 2001
Dave R Smith wrote:
Well, I found out this morning I was wanted by the Police.:eek:

I rec'd a Notice of intended prosecution by recorded delivery, saying back on 18 Aug I failed to stop at an accident at a Bedfordshire village location.
After a few phone calls I find out a Lorry had hit a house roof in a narrow lane and a witness saw a lorry with 'Aztec' and another word - possibly 'video' written on the side.
I have now got them off my case, by telling them I don't have any lorries, my car doesn't have business name on it and I wasn't in the village on date in question.

They hadn't even to bother to ascertain or verify what colour the lorry was, so it's prosecute first and ask questions later.

In fact the woman I spoke to wasn't prefixed WPC, so I assume a civilian that was adding 1 and 1 to make 5.

I've given them a blasting for there unverified accusations.
I can joke about it now, but it ain't very pleasant when you get such letters with no explanation of even why they think it's you.
..anyway, I'm now off the most wanted list now, but I'll be wearing shades and a headscarf tomorrow.

In your case, the act of verification should have been strictly followed because they were out of the time limit (14 days) condition to be complied with. So much for our nowadays 'efficient' police system!

PP
Offline
Joined: Jan 30 2004

In my case it was a case of "gamekeeper turned poacher", when I got a speeding ticket from a mobile camera in a "40" area right out in the country. Couldn't understand why I was clocked doing 54mph!! The only thing I thought of was I must have assumed that I was in a National Speed Limit zone, so I went back and sure enough, after entering the area, there was no repeater signs, which led me to believe I was in a NTS area. I wrote to the Legal Dept. at the County Hall and they agreed that there were no repeater signs, therefore the limit was not enforceable. Wrote to ticket office and they informed me they would take no further action, that was good of them, no sorry for the inconvenience!

I'm in the process of writing to them to ask them what is to happen to all the other motorists who have received fines and endorsements for that area.

So it does help to to check.

Peter

Peter

Dave R Smith
Offline
Joined: May 10 2005
Ron Spicer wrote:
In your case, the act of verification should have been strictly followed because they were out of the time limit (14 days) condition to be complied with. So much for our nowadays 'efficient' police system!

Thank-you for the info Ron.
I haven't rec'd an apology yet.