anyone using the 600d?

2 replies [Last post]
Lusky

I was looking at the 600d recently as it has a few nice features especially as a second camera, such as articulated screen and audi gain control. however the one the really caught my eye was the digital zoom. I know digital zooms are usually a lot of nonsense and best ignored but in this case because a HD image is 2 mega pixels then at the 5x Digital zoom you still get a full resolution shot. This could be very useful.

What I was wondering is would using this actualy give you slightly better image as ther would be les down sampling happening.

I know this in a way defeats the point of large sensor cameras as you would lose the DOF benefits but for those moments you could use a long lens and you have a 50mm on, it could be handy.

John Paul

nigelbb

I just bought one on Saturday & it is absolutely fab. I wanted an APS-C DSLR to complement our 5DIIs & took a while to choose between the 7D, 60D, 550D & 600D. I eventually went for the 600D body as it is the newest model & has been better designed for video than earlier models & has some features like the articulated screen & 3X crop mode that are really useful.

As someone who has been shooting video on the 5DII for a couple of years I immediately felt at home with the 600D & am only now working through the manual discovering new features this has vs. the 5DII. The menus & controls all look very familiar while it is a little smaller it feels comfortable in the hand with all the controls easily accessible.

The body itself is plastic & feels light but with a decent lens attached the weight does feels more comparable with the 5DII. I have ordered a battery grip which will bulk it up a bit more. The build quality is fine. The 600D misses out on the top panel LCD, rear control dial, & Kelvin WB of the 60D & 7D but does have custom WB & gains the 3X crop mode.

The crop mode is really interesting as like the ETC mode on the GH2 it uses the central portion of the sensor so there is little or no loss of resolution. It's not exactly a zoom as while it provides the same field of view of a lens 3X the focal length because it is effectively using a smaller sensor it does not have the same depth of field as a longer lens on an APS-C sensor. Despite that it is really useful as it means that with a 17-50mm F/2.8 on the 600D the normal 35mm equivalent is a 27.2-80mm lens but the 3X crop mode adds an 81.6-240mm F/2.8 lens at the push of a button. So a single lens will cover 95% of what I will use the camera for. Great when shooting events not even having to change lens. The menu for the crop mode actually offers 3X-10X but beyond 3X it is a digital zoom that just enlarges the pixels so I shall avoid using anything beyond 3X.

The quality of the video is very good & similar to every other Canon DSLR & pretty much indistinguishable from that of the 5DII except in extreme low light situations. Like the 5DII & 60D (& unlike the 7D & 550D) audio levels can be controlled manually. It uses SDHC cards & shares the LP-E8 battery with the 550D.

I made the mistake of being cheap & buying a Tamron SP 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC lens for this camera but will be returning this today & getting the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM Lens instead. The Canon lens is more than twice the price but I just couldn't live with the problems of the Tamron. For starters it focuses & zooms back to front like a Nikon & not like all the Canon lenses that we have for our 5Ds. It also has a very noisy image stabiliser that is constantly whirring & far noisier than any Canon lens I have with IS. The AF isn't very fast either.

I paid just just under £600 for the body only & compared to the price of other the Canon APS-C DSLRs it is a bargain (less than half the price of the 7D). I think that we shall probably get another with the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 AT-X PRO DX AF to cover the wide end (17.6-25.6 35mm equivalent) which coupled with the 3X crop mode gives a second range of 52.8-76.8mm.

Lusky
nigelbb wrote:

The crop mode is really interesting as like the ETC mode on the GH2 it uses the central portion of the sensor so there is little or no loss of resolution. It's not exactly a zoom as while it provides the same field of view of a lens 3X the focal length because it is effectively using a smaller sensor it does not have the same depth of field as a longer lens on an APS-C sensor. Despite that it is really useful as it means that with a 17-50mm F/2.8 on the 600D the normal 35mm equivalent is a 27.2-80mm lens but the 3X crop mode adds an 81.6-240mm F/2.8 lens at the push of a button. So a single lens will cover 95% of what I will use the camera for. Great when shooting events not even having to change lens. The menu for the crop mode actually offers 3X-10X but beyond 3X it is a digital zoom that just enlarges the pixels so I shall avoid using anything beyond 3X.

Thanks for the full answer nigel, very informative and useful information. The 3x crop sounds excellent especially for a second camera in say a church. I love the shallow DOF look but like any style it doesn't need to be be permanently shallow, it also means in some low light situations where a deeper DOF is required at distance then you have that ability.

I have the Canon ef-s 17-50mm and it is a cracking lens especially for everyday purposes.

John Paul